Monday, February 13, 2012

Make 7: Ginger-Infused Vodka

     I like booze. Good booze, that is. As a graduate student in Arizona, I had a professor who had a very good single-malt scotch collection. I developed a taste for scotch far beyond my means at the time, although I now have a reasonable good collection of my own. But my enjoyment of spirits is not limited to scotch and whiskey. I also enjoy vodka, gin, etc. A nice cold bottle of vodka in the freezer is a wonderful thing, and a toast with friends is something I cherish.
     Last year, our friends Melissa and Brett had us over for dinner. In addition to other delicious goodies, they had some homemade cilantro-infused vodka. It was delicious! So, I'm going with this principle, and making my own ginger-infused vodka. 
     I started with a bottle of vodka. I didn't buy top-shelf stuff, but it was a decent vodka from somewhere in the middle of the shelf. Here is it with the ginger root I purchased for this purpose:


I cut about a 2 inch length of ginger root, peeled it, and sliced it up:


This I put into a quart mason jar, and poured the vodka over it:


I'll let this sit for a for a few days, and then I'll strain it, and pour it into 2-3 smaller bottles. I have high hopes for this! I'll post more pics as the process continues...

2 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty tasty. I once made a damiana infused vodka that turned out pretty good.

    ReplyDelete