Sunday, February 19, 2012

Make 8: Knitter Please!

     Knitting! It's not just for ladies anymore! My project this week was a knit hat, or tuke for my Canadian friends. I have actually been thinking about this for awhile, and when at the craft store looking for materials and inspiration, I stumbled across a set of knitting looms. These looked so easy, that even a completely non-handy person like myself could give knitting a go.
      Now some of you are probably saying to yourselves "But isn't knitting for the ladies?" First,  I would encourage you to let go of outdated gender stereotypes and roles. Second, I would ask you to consider what, at it's core, is knitting? It's taking yarn and tying knots in it. Using the same gender stereotypes that I am encouraging you to abandon, it seems to me that tying knots in cordage is pretty damn manly! In fact, there's even a documentary that claims that not only is knitting a manly endeavor, it was men who first started knitting (think fishnets, etc) and that in traditional societies, knitting was always men's work.
     Putting aside such debates, though, it is true that the majority of knitters these days are women. Still, Why shouldn't anyone, regardless of gender, have an opportunity to try their hand at knitting? That is precisely what I set out to do.
     My materials for this week's make were very simple: Yarn, knitting loom, and a knitting needle:

I then started by making loops on each peg of the loom. I made a second set of loops, then started using the needle to pull the bottom loop over the top loop. At first, I wasn't sure what I was doing, but I seemed to be following the instructions, and eventually, I had something that looked like this (not on the same loom, but the same yarn, etc.):


I kept doing this for quite a while, although not nearly as long as I thought it would take, After making a brim and closing up the top of the hat, here is is the final product:


My son, Dylan, was kind enough to model the finished hat, which suited him so well, I gave it to him, Here are a couple of photos of him with it on:



     I'm now working on a scarf from the same yarn (as seen above on the green loom). I am pretty sure I will be knitting some more, as I really like the hat I made, and want one for myself! I also find the whole process of knitting relaxing, and, as a fidgety person, having something to do with my hands while sitting is a godsend. Now, what should I make for next week...

2 comments:

  1. Clearly anyone who says knitting isn't manly has never seen Demolition Man? lol Sly cranks out a snazzy sweater hehehe. Nice job, I can do the basic knit stitch, but can't make much with it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next we can teach you to knit with actual needles, and then crochet!

    ReplyDelete